Estadisticas y contadores web gratis
Oposiciones Masters

Friday, May 26, 2006

 

A BALANCED DIET AT SCHOOL

This morning I heard this piece of news on the radio and I later read it from the internet. Please, read it and tell me what you think about leading a balanced diet. Specially at school.

Teachers warn that schools junk food ban could backfire
By Simon Freeman

Headteachers have warned the Government that its campaign to ban junk food from schools by 2009 could put many pupils off school dinners altogether.

Alan Johnson, the Education Secretary, today unveiled a two-stage programme which will eventually see school dinners of Turkey Twizzlers, fizzy drinks and chips replaced with a balanced diet of good quality meat accompanied by fruit and vegetables.

Ministers have also announced plans to ban chocolate, crisps and pop from vending machines. Schools and vending firms will be expected to promote healthier snacks and drinks such as water, milk, fruit and yoghurt drinks.

Although teachers have welcomed the principles behind the canteen shake-up, Mick Brookes, general-secretary of the National Association of Head Teachers, warned that such "gastronomic Puritanism" was likely to lead to children going to local chip shops instead.

Under the proposal, caterers must ensure that high quality meat, poultry or oily fish is available on a regular basis from September. Pupils must also be offered a minimum of two portions of fruit and vegetables while deep-fried food will be limited to two portions per week.

Foods that are high in salt and fat will be phased out until, by 2008, every primary school meal must reach stringent standards stipulating vitamin and mineral content. Secondary schools have been given more time to reach the target.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8122-2188243,00.html

Comments:
Hi Laia,
I'm glad you wrote to me after such a long time watching my blog die of boredom.
Just joking!!! I know you were very busy with your exams. You luckily finished them this week and you celebrated this big event in the Gym's shower. You got soaked wet and then wanted to hug some teachers. You naughty girls!!!
I will certainly show youa picture of that dress I'm going to wear for my friend's wedding, but only if you keep on writing to me! That's what I call BLACKMAIL!!! :D
By the way, have a nice time during the CS in Besalú. I bet you love the place and learn a lot. And remember: "Birds of a feather, flock together". So have fun with your classmates and enjoy.
See you next week.
R.
 
Ups.... I nearly forget it! Look for a comment about Josep's car. I'm pretty surer you can find something out. :D
Take care,
R.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?